Many people come to Puerto Rico for the beaches, but that can get tiresome after a while. And if you want to take a break from that fun on the sand, you must visit the San Juan National Historic Site. It’s easy enough to find as it’s in the Old San Juan section in San Juan.
The San Juan National Historic Site the #1 attraction in San Juan listed on several travel websites like Trip Advisor. It has accumulated 1,983 “excellent” reviews and an additional 663 “very good” reviews. There are only 3 “terrible” reviews, and 2 “poor” reviews.
Here is a short video about the history of La Fortaleza and the San Juan National Historic Site:
So why do so many people love to visit this place?
1. There are too many things to see and too many places to explore. The site includes Castillo San Cristóbal and Castillo San Felipe del Morro, Fortín San Juan de la Cruz but more known as El Cañuelo, and ¾ of the city walls. It rises 140 feet above the sea atop a rocky cliff, and you have 6 large levels of ramps dungeons, barracks, towers, turrets, and tunnels to explore. Make sure you visit the observation posts and the bastion, along with the ramps and the moat.
2. It’s a historical site. This was built starting from the 1400s all the way to the 1800s, and this series of defensive outposts represent just how the Europeans projected their military might while adapting it to local conditions. As you walk about the place, you may find yourself thinking that you’re in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie set. It’s like a walled Old World City in itself, filled with narrow streets.
3. The guides offer exciting and interesting info about the place. What’s more, the people who work there are so friendly, and they all can answer any question you have about its history. The stories about the pirates and the battles waged near here are fascinating.
4. It’s quite breezy and comfortable up there. They sure knew how to build the place so that the people there can take advantage of the sea breeze. It’s very cool, especially when you take a stroll during the evening. The buildings may be closed at night, but the grounds are still open for strollers.
5. The view is amazing. You’re so high up that the views will simply take your breath away. Take a look at the view from the bathroom, and you’d be amazed.
6. Everything’s so clean. It’s very-well maintained, and you won’t find anything amiss. Even the bathrooms are pristine.
7. It’s affordable. You’d think that a place this beautiful would be expensive to visit, but it’s not. For $10 you can visit both forts ($5 dollars each) and the ticket you get is good for 7 days.
Walk with your special someone here and the experience can be very romantic. Visit with your whole family, and even the kids will be enchanted with the tales of battles and piracy. This is truly the one place you need to visit even if you only visit Puerto Rico for its beaches.